The Smoke-Free Scholarship program is now closed. The winning applicants will be announced, and notified via email, on August 31, 2018.
Sharpen up your pencils and let us know why you should be the one to win ECR’s $3,000 scholarship! We at ECR are passionate about smoking cessation and feel that it’s our duty to help prevent suffering and death caused by it around the globe. Show us that you share our vision and our sense of commitment toward this particular issue by writing a cessation-oriented essay and submitting it for consideration. We want to support your education so you could, in turn, help us fight the good fight and bring about a smoke-free world!
Apply for ECR’s academic scholarship today by telling us how you imagine a world where smoking is eradicated and get a chance to win a $3,000 award!
|Award Amounts:||1st Place: $3,000
2nd Place: $1,000
3rd Place: $1,000
|Submission Deadline:||July 31, 2018|
|Award Date:||August 31, 2018|
$5,000 in Scholarships to be Awarded
- Smoking is the #1 cause of preventable death in the world and it’s directly or indirectly responsible for over 480,000 fatalities in the United States alone. More than one billion smokers are struggling with this affliction currently, and, make no mistake, it is an affliction. Nearly 70% of smokers WANT to quit smoking and around 40% have tried to do that at least once during their smoking careers.Furthermore, the tobacco industry is devastating our eco-systems, poisoning our water and land, and turning fertile soil into a wasteland. Helping smokers quit by advocating sensible cessation solutions will benefit every single one of us if we’re successful.
- It’s our hope that positive smoking cessation stories can inspire active smokers to take that first step toward a healthier life. Numerous studies have shown that evidence-based information can help with that and encourage them to stick with their decision. That’s where you come in!
- Each year, we contribute $5,000 in scholarship funds. Three students will be selected to share the scholarship funds.
- July 31, 2018 at 11:00 PM (PST)
What To Do:
- What we need from you is an essay between a 1,000 and 1,500 words that provides an answer to the following questions:
- How is smoking hurting individuals and the society as a whole?
- Society takes a much stricter stance on a lot of less harmful substances – why is smoking still largely off the radar of most governments?
- How can we tackle the smoking epidemic? What would be our best course of action in the fight against smoking and why do you believe it would work
- How do you imagine a smoke-free world and how does it differ from the world we live in today?
- If you could offer current smokers one piece of advice, what would it be
When applying, please sign your essay with your full name and include an email address, telephone number, and a permanent address.
We’re interested in your stories and your ideas but you have to support them with current, peer-reviewed research. All entries will be judged on their originality, creativity, and style. Increase your chances of winning by writing a structured, well-referenced essay that coherently approaches the problem.
How to Apply:
- Read the Scholarship Rules.
- Submit the Scholarship Contest Application Form.
- Email your essay to [email protected]
- 14 years or older.
- Accepted to or enrolled in a high school, college or university in the United States.
Winners will be contacted via email and featured on this Scholarship page.
To get started, simply fill out and submit your scholarship application form. If you have any questions, email us at: [email protected]