Cigarettes and the Health Effects of Tobacco
In the Colonial Era of the United States, one of the most important products which was grown by the colonists was tobacco. As soon as settlers landed in the new land, tobacco farms began operation, and the tobacco that was grown became a product that could be used as a form of currency. Tobacco became a staple of the economy in the Virginia Colony. Tobacco farmers found a growing market for their products that provided farmers with wealth.
In the early days tobacco was used in a variety of ways with chewing and smoking tobacco being very common among the population. The trend of tobacco usage continued up to the 20th Century. While smoking in public was common and with effective marketing, smoking appeared to be accepted. However, in the late 20th Century, the United States Surgeon General came out with a report that smoking and usage of tobacco could become a hazard to the health of users. The report indicated that using tobacco could lead to Lung Cancer, Emphysema, Asthma, Throat Cancer, Mouth Cancer and several other health related problems.
The Surgeon General’s report led to dramatic changes in the way people use tobacco, the way tobacco is marketed, the social acceptance of tobacco and more. Today more people have quit or drastically reduced the usage of tobacco either through chewing tobacco or smoking. Smokers have come up with various ways to stop tobacco use. Hopefully, once the consumer stops using tobacco, they will start the process of healing, and on the way to better health.
We have put together a collection of information and resources to learn more about the health impact of smoking and tobacco. We hope this helps you learn more about the health implications.
- The History of Tobacco – Informative page which covers the history of tobacco since colonial days in the United States.
- History of Tobacco – Helpful web page which outlines the history of tobacco.
- Early History of Tobacco – Historical information on the early history of tobacco in the world.
- Tobacco Timeline – Web page which provides a chronological look at the use of tobacco.
- Smoking Information – Web page which is aimed at educating teens about the dangers of smoking.
- Smoking – Informative page which provides an overview of smoking and the dangers that it presents.
- Smoking Statistics – Information and statistics on the usage of tobacco and smoking.
- Cigarette Advertising – A Time article which gives a brief history of cigarette advertising.
- A History of Smoking – Historic article which chronicles the changing values of smoking for the past 18,000 years.
- Smokeless Tobacco – Web page which provides information on smokeless tobacco and health effects.
- Smokeless Tobacco Information – Useful page which discusses health issues of using smokeless tobacco.
- Smokeless Tobacco – Informative page with information for teens about the hazards associated with using smokeless tobacco.
- Tobacco Facts and Figures – Helpful article which provides a statistical look at the usage of various types of tobacco.
- Tobacco Health Risks – Informative page which covers the potential health risks of tobacco usage.
- Health Risks (PDF) – Article from the World Health Organization which outlines the health risks of tobacco.
- Smoking and Tobacco Use – Information on the various health concerns that is associated with smoking and tobacco usage.
- Smokeless Tobacco and Health – Web page with commonly asked questions and answers about the health impact of smokeless tobacco.
- Cancer Fact Sheet – Informative fact sheet with information on tobacco related usage and cancer.
- Smoking and Asthma – Useful information on the medical problems of smoking and how it can trigger problems with Asthma.
- Second Hand Smoke – Information on the dangers of non-smokers breathing in smoke from others.
- Tobacco Health Warnings – Article from CNN which provides a look at various health warnings around the world.
- Surgeon General Reports – Information on the different reports that the Surgeon General has issued on the hazards of smoking.
- Tobacco Warning – Article from the Washington Post which outlines the latest warnings from the U.S. Surgeon General.
- History of the Surgeon General Report – Informative page from the CDC which provides a historical look at the information in the health report.
- Tobacco Resources – Resourceful site with information on various topics related to tobacco.
- Tobacco Center – Information from the FDA about tobacco, smoking and tobacco usage.
- How to Quit Smoking – Helpful page which provides information on how smokers can stop.
- Going Smokefree – Government website which helps people quit smoking and using tobacco.